Monday, 25 July 2011

Do TL's have a future?

There has been talk about the where teacher librarians are going and if there is a future for them which i must say has crossed my mind. Many schools do not have a TL and when they do teachers do not see the value of the resource that is at hand.

We need to highlight and advocate constantly to others what our role is and why we are so important to students and staff alike. This means that all TL's need to step up and as a learning TL I need to educate and advocate as well.

Online resources are changing the look of librarians but I feel that there is still a need for print materials and though reference materials do not need to a no touch zone. Students still need to learn how to guide themselves through books as well as the plethora of online resources that they able to access.

We are constantly using online resources for teacher guidance and students. After reading about evaluating online resources I realise that I do evaluate though I focused more on the Educational and Technical Criteria that Herring (2010) refers to and do not consider reliability as an issue. This is an important step and even though I may not find the perfect resource but these criteria will guide me to find the best fit for the criteria I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment