I found the readings relating to Principals and the ways that Teacher Librarians are viewed eye opening. I, myself, did not see the Principal as influential but after starting in a new school this year I was looking at the role of the Principal different. At my previous school the Principal was hardly seen, always on trips and did not even have an educational background. My current school the Principal is an active member of the team and is always there for open discussions and support.
The differences between these two Principals is/was reflected in all aspects of the school, particularly the collaboration between staff and the library. The library at my previous school had an untrained librarian who was there half a day every day but the lessons were children borrowing and that was it. It was teacher initiated for the lesson to be anything different. Compare this to my current library and Teacher librarian and it is completely opposite. The TL is a constant at grade, team, committee and subject meetings. She is always able to guide you to where useful resources are and she is seen as a crucial part of the school community.
These readings certainly helped me to identify factors that have made me enjoy my new school environment and reflect on what it is that I can do to work towards to be a great TL!
No comments:
Post a Comment